Network Setup

Walker, Michael Michael.Walker2 at capita.co.uk
Thu Oct 14 00:45:19 PDT 2004

Hi Everyone,

Having some issues with my home network at the moment.
Basically I used to have a FreeBSD gateway system, it ran various network
services for my network and some remote users via the internet, smtp, httpd,
ftp, pop etc etc. It was equipped with a second network card (first was
going to the cable modem), which was connected to a 4 port netgear hub.

Now I have changed the network setup, as I purchased a wireless broadband
router. This works great, it is linked to the wired machines via a Ethernet
hub, and serves 2 wireless laptops (running windows) as well.
However the problem I am now having is, that users via the internet, cannot
access any of my network services by using the hostname of my system.

i.e. Users cant browse to codegurus.org, but they can browse to my IP
address. The same is to be said for SMTP connections, pop, ftp etc.

I have verified that the router is forwarding the ports to the internet by
running a nmap scan on my IP address from a remote machine that I have
access to. I have also verified that the hostname still points to my IP
address.

Here is some system information:
uname -a
FreeBSD codeguru.org 5.2.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE #4: Wed Oct 13
21:55:19 BST 2004 :/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CODEGURUS i386

ifconfig
sis0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 inet
192.168.0.4 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255 ether
00:09:5b:69:7e:ec media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT/UTP) status: active

I could understand this being a apache vhost problem, if it was simply a
apache issue. But for the life of me, I am lost as to why the ports would
appear open when scanned. But not accept connections via my hostname.

Thanks for any help, if you need me to post some configuration files, then
please just ask.

Thanks again.
Regards Mick

Mick Walker
NAAFI Finance International

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may be subject to legal privilege, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error or think you may have done so, you may not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. Please notify the sender immediately and delete the original e-mail from your system.

Computer viruses can be transmitted by e-mail. Recipients should check this e-mail for the presence of viruses. The Capita Group and its subsidiaries accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.