Unable to umount Cdrom drive.

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 11:29:39 PDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 11:22:12AM -0700, Laszlo Antal wrote:

> When I mount the cdrom with #mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom

Verb. Sap.  Make that:

    # mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/acd0c /cdrom

For best results, set up all of the options etc. in /etc/fstab, and
then just use:

    # mount /cdrom

> everything works fine.I can get to my ports and everything
> But when I want to swap cds and I type #umount /cdrom
> I get this error message:: Unable to umount /cdrom, Device is busy.
> If I do the umont from KDE I get the same error message.
> What I'm doing wrong??

You've either got a process with it's current working directory
somewhere under /cdrom, or you've got a process with an open file
descriptor (or a memory map) on one of the files on the CD.

Try using:

    # fstat -f /cdrom

to see if you can identify the culprits.  Then either close them down,
or CD to elsewhere in the filesystem if it's an interactive session.
Once the CD Rom is idle, you should be able to dismount it easily.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way