Shutdown And User Intervention

Geert Hendrickx geert.hendrickx at ua.ac.be
Wed Oct 13 10:50:30 PDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 07:50:08AM -0700, Rishi Chopra wrote:
> Is there a way to issue a shutdown command that
> doesn't require me to press a key to reboot?
>
> Currently when I enter the command 'shutdown -p' the
> system shuts down gracefully but I have to press a key
> to reboot the system.
>
> Ultimately I'd like to be able to power-off the system
> gracefully without requiring the user (me) to press a
> key  afterwards.

Add the following to your kernel configuration file, build and install a
new kernel and try shutdown -p again:

device          acpica

It's not in de GENERIC kernel because 1) this feature is still
experimental (however it seems to work fine), and 2) many users never
shutdown -p their FreeBSD machines anyway. :-)

GH

--
:wq