File Server

Eric Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Tue Oct 12 18:41:33 PDT 2004

On Oct 12, 2004, at 10:54 AM, Scott Rothgaber wrote:

> Good Morning!
>
> Here at the shop, there is a mixture of W2K workstations and FreeBSD
> 4.10 servers. Is there a non-NetBIOS file server that runs on FreeBSD
> that will allow access to files from the windows clients?
>
> We're already using samba, but I don't allow any NetBIOS traffic
> through our firewall. I'd like to be able to work on files while I'm
> at home.
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

If I were you, I would setup a VPN.  Using MPD (available in ports),
you can set up a PPTP VPN connection, and only allow traffic through
the VPN.  This is what I do.  I have my laptop setup to automatically
connect when I try to connect to my VPN IP addresses.

HTH
-----
Eric F Crist
Secure Computing Networks