How to update perl on FreeBSD 4.9R (Resolved)

Danny nocmonkey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 17:42:29 PDT 2004

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 22:57:45 -0400, Christopher Nehren
<apeiron at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 14:40 -0400, Danny wrote:
> > I am trying to install a perl CPAN module:
> >
> > mx1# perl Makefile.PL
> > Perl 5.006 required--this is only version 5.00503, stopped at
> > Makefile.PL line 3.
> > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 3.
> > mx1#
> >
> > All I know is that I need to update to a newer version.
>
> Ahh, you're trying to install a Perl module -- which, as luck would have
> it, has a FreeBSD port available. cd to ${PORTSDIR}/devel/p5-Date-
> Calc/ , type "make install", and watch it do its magic.

I did not know you could install Perl module's through the ports.
Thank you, Christopher, Erik, Paul, Donald, and everyone else that
replied.

Bottom line: due to the fact that I did not know you could install
Perl module's via the ports, I got involved in an area (Perl) which I
am not at all familiar with. In my own defence, I have just searched
the FreeBSD site, the Handbook (and the ports section), and there is
no mention that you can install Perl modules from the ports, instead
of going the CPAN route.

I am familiar with the ports, and think very highly of them, but I
have never worked with an application which required an additional
Perl module. But, now I know where to look.

Anyway, I have learnt a great deal and hopefully this helps someone
else in the future.

Cheers,

...D