NameVirtualHost nat

David Jenkins david.jenkins at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 12:53:56 PDT 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:26:55 +0300, Toomas Aas <toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> "Lars H. Beuse" <bsd at dokfilm.org> wrote:
>
> > i want some apache NameVirtualHost behind a Paketfilter based on ipf, placed
> > in two subnets. This router has two Cards one in the private net, one in the
> > public. So far i just forward port 80 and 443 into my private net
> > 192.168.2.0, but every request ends up on apaches rootlevel, NameVirtualHost
> > directive is useless. So, how to forward http(s):// requests through the
> > Paketfilter matching the right VirtualHost? Maybe i've thought in a wrong
> > direction, so far. Just some little hints should be enough.
>
> I can't be 100% sure because I haven't done this kind of thing myself,
> but I don't see why port forwarding should interfere with Apache's
> name-based virtual hosting. After all, they operate on different layers
> of the OSI model: port forwarding is purely TCP business while
> VirtualHosts are HTTP.

Indeed. This sounds like something isn't wuite right with the Apache setup.

Lars, have you tried accessing the webserver from your private
network, localhost, with/without the firewall enabled. Does that make
any difference or do you get the same result each time?

You could also try setting "LogLevel debug" in httpd.conf and see what
errors (if any) you are getting.

It's probably best though if you post the VirtualHost section of your
httpd.conf.

Hope this helps.

David