Gnome Woes

Subhro subhro.kar at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 02:20:49 PDT 2004

Hello folks,

I am running FreeBSD 5.3-BETA7 on a Pentium III 1G box with 512M RAM.

I have installed /usr/ports/x11/xorg and /usr/ports/x11/gnome2.

I have included gnome-session in .xinitrc file.

But when I try to start Gnome with startx, The initial welcome screen
og GNOME shows up and then stalls. After some time the console from
where X was started shows up a few errors:

Bonobo-WARNING **: Never got frame, control died - abnormal exit condition
libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Someone still starting up GNOMEvfs async calls
after quit
Bonobo-WARNING **: Leaked a total of 1 refs to 1 bonobo object(s)

Gnome does come up but after about 1 hrs waiting.

/etc/hosts contains my system hostname with proper IP. My hostname
does not resolve though.

Can anyone guide me where I am going wrong?

Regards
S.

--
Subhro Sankha Kar