/sbin/init not being loaded

Milo Hyson milo at cyberlifelabs.com
Sat Oct 9 21:07:40 PDT 2004

I'm in the process of setting up a diskless client, and when the kernel
(GENERIC from 4.10-RELEASE) boots it fails to load /sbin/init, reverting
instead to /stand/sysinstall which loads and runs just fine. The init
program exists in the proper directory on the server, but it just won't
load. The kernel gives no error message. I've verified I'm using the
right filesystem by renaming /stand/sysinstall to something else, which
causes the client to panic (as it should). I tried boot -v, which just
confirms that /sbin/init is being tried (as is /sbin/oinit and
/sbin/init.bak). However, nothing seems to work except for sysinstall.

Any suggestions?

--
Milo Hyson
Chief Mad Scientist