What version of FBSD does Yahoo run?

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Oct 8 10:17:50 PDT 2004

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

>On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 11:45:09AM -0500, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
>: Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
>:
>: >On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 11:39:05PM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>: >: I'm sure that Yahoo, like any large commercial enterprise, has a whole
>: >: host of specific customizations that they have applied to FreeBSD,
>: >: and their version of FreeBSD doesen't look like what we have, at least
>: >not
>: >: where the good bits are.
>: >
>: >I wonder.  Wouldn't that make keeping up-to-date a lot more difficult?
>: >
>: >
>:
>: Not necessarily.  It wouldn't be too difficult at all to even roll their own
>: release, with all their custom patches, or set up their own source
>: repo with the patches in place and do cvsup et al from their own
>: servers.  There are lots of possibilities; the fact that I don't necessarily
>: know what they all are doesn't negate the probability that they exist.
>
>I mean keeping their source synced with the 'official' source.

And so did I, see release(7) among other things.

Cvsup one machine from their local mirror of the "official" site,
buildworld on it with their patches,  make a release (or other
strategy here) and feed it to their server farm ...

I'd take a while for me to figure out how to do it, but I wouldn't
doubt their ability to do so.

Kevin Kinsey