VINUM: Disk crash with striped raid

Paul Everlund tdv94ped at cs.umu.se
Fri Oct 8 05:54:31 PDT 2004

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Thursday,  7 October 2004 at 18:11:52 +0200, Paul Everlund wrote:
>
> > Hi Greg and list!

Thank you for your reply!

> > I did have two 120 GB's disk drives in vinum as a striped raid.
>

> Can you be more specific?

My vinum.conf looks like this, if this is to be more specific:

    drive ad5 device /dev/ad5s1e
    drive ad6 device /dev/ad6s1e
    volume raid0
    plex org striped 127k
    sd length 0 drive ad5
    sd length 0 drive ad6

> > I did contact a data recovery company and they say they need both
> > disks to restore the raid, because of that the raid initializing
> > might be corrupted.
> >
> > My questions is:
> >
> > Do they need both disks?
>
> That depends on your configuration.

That is as above.

> > Isn't it enough if they make a disk image of the failed drive, and I
> > will then be able to restore the raid data initialization in vinum
> > by a vinum create, or something similar?
>
> The command will be 'vinum start'.

Thank you!

> > Will they be able to recreate the raid data without using vinum
> > anyway?
>
> Who knows?

You at least know from this mail that I don't... :-)

> The real issue is the configuration of your volume (not "raid").

Sorry.

 > If it only has a single plex, you're in trouble.

Well, then I'm in trouble.

 > In that case, you need your recovery company to get an image of
 > the failed disk. Then you should put it on a similar disk, create
 > a configuration entry and perform some other incantations, and you
 > should be up and running again.

Can you please be more specific? Is the configuration entry the one
above, vinum.conf? Perform other incantations?

> If you have two or more plexes, you shouldn't need to do any of this.

As I don't have two or more plexes it seems I have to do all of it. :-)

Thank you for a reply in advance!

Best regards,
Paul