Cannot update XFree86-4

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Thu Oct 7 05:16:53 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 08:54:09AM +0000, knowtree at aloha.com wrote:
> Thanks for the help. I went ahead yesterday and hacked away for awhile, and
> worked around the problem. The reason I was nervous about those portupgrade
> flags is that in the past portupgrade has made a mess of things, doing too
> much at a time, and they are not mentioned in the note in the XFree86-4
> port. I figured, if it needed those dependency checks it would have said
> so. Too conservative?

I beleave so. Portupgrade can cause problem, but it realy did so for me.
A bug does exist currently in ruby that can cause problem running it.
The workaround for this is setting the following variables:

PORTS_DBDRIVER=bdb1_hash
PKG_DBDRIVER=bdb1_hash

> The first fix was a dependency on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/ddx.txt which
> always failed because the file extension is is caps -- ddx.TXT. I made a
> link so both versions were there and got past that point.
>
> The second fix solved a problem building fonts, where one of the make files
> was trying to run perl with a program called ucs2any. This stopped with
> "Unrecognized character \177 at /usr/X11R6/bin/ucs2any line 1."  On my
> system, that file is a binary; there is a ucs2any.pl in the same directiry.
> I renamed the bin and linked the .pl to the no -extension version, and the
> fonts built perfectly.

I admire you devotion. I would just rebuild everything by now.

--
Alex

Please copy the original recipients, otherwise I may not read your reply.
WWW: http://www.kruijff.org/alex/FreeBSD/