Emergency, cannot boot 4.10

Lists sfulton-lists at esoteric.ca
Wed Oct 6 07:54:14 PDT 2004

Greetings,

My 4.10 server is halting during the boot process because the
kern.maxfiles entry in /etc/sysctl.conf is corrupted or wrong (though I
have not changed it in some time).  What I want to do is simply remove
that entry from the sysctl.conf file, but I cannot even get into the system.

I have a presentation later today based on some of the work I've done on
that server -- if someone could clue me in on how to best get in to fix
that file, I'd really appreciate it.  I've tried the Brazilian LiveCD
ISO, without success -- the keyboard mappings are for Portugeuse, not
English.

-- Stephen.