Unable to install evolution with LDAP support

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Tue Oct 5 17:33:25 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 19:45, Dan Finn wrote:
> I'm trying to get evolution built with ldap support so that I can
> connect to the exchange server here at work and see the global address
> list.  I have ximian-connector installed and working, this is the
> final piece of this puzzle that I need.
>
> with recent cvsup of ports tree
>
> I did:
>
> cd /usr/ports/mail/evolution/
> make deinstall
> make clean
> make WITH_LDAP=yes install
>
> I see no errors, it seems to build it just fine.  OpenLDAP is already
> installed by this point by the way, do I need to deinstall OpenLDAP
> and let the build of evolution also build OpenLDAP?
>
> I start evolution, click on Tools -> Settings -> Directory Servers
> and I get:
> LDAP was not enabled in this build of Evolution.
>
> So what am I doing wrong here.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>  I need to get this working to make my boss happy.

LDAP support is compiled into Evolution by default.  Therefore, there
must be something wrong with your OpenLDAP installation.  Look at the
output of make configure under mail/evolution to see if LDAP support is
actually being enabled.  If not, the clues as to why will be in the
config.log inside the evolution ${WRKSRC} directory.

Joe