Why is data linked to data-dist

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Oct 5 11:34:07 PDT 2004

LB <l0rd at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a general question that I hope someone can help me with. I was
> wondering why the powers that be have chosen to link /usr/local/www/data
> to /usr/local/www/data-dist instead of just creating
> /usr/local/www/data-dist directly. Can anybody help me with the idea behind
> this ?

This reduces the possibility of people losing their data during an upgrade.

If you portupgrade (or use any other system) to upgrade to a newer version
of Apache, data-dist will be overwritten with the new documentation that
comes with the new version of Apache.  data will not be touched.

As a result, if you left data as a symlink to data-dist, it still works
and shows you the most updated documentation.  However, if relink data
to a different directory, or replace the symlink with a real directory
with your site in it, the upgrade doesn't obliterate your data.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies