Release Compiler options

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Tue Oct 5 07:24:12 PDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 09:01:04AM -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.Strobl at gmx.net> writes:
>
> > Ok, so share/examples/etc/make.conf is not evaluated like
> > etc/defautls/make.conf was before? That's the point I guess.
>
> /etc/defaults/make.conf was *never* evaluated.  That's *why* it was
> moved out to the examples tree.

/etc/defaults/make.conf was, and still is, evaluated in 4-stable. [1]
However since all lines in that file are commented out it doesn't
actually set any defaults (unlike e.g. /etc/defaults/rc.conf which
actually sets default values for many variables.)

However one has never (or at least not for a very long time) been
supposed to modify /etc/defaults/make.conf, but any local modifications
are supposed to go into /etc/make.conf which means that it made more
sense to move /etc/defaults/make.conf to /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf
since it was just documentation of what variables one could set in
/etc/make.conf.

[1] From /usr/share/mk/sys.mk
[...]

.if exists(/etc/defaults/make.conf)