Mail auth and FreeBSD/Sendmail

Ed Budd ebudd at grokking.org
Tue Oct 5 06:50:27 PDT 2004

Andreas Widerøe Andersen wrote:
> Thanks! However, could you please give me some more specific directions?
> Today my sendmail.mc file looks like this:
>
> divert(0)
> VERSIONID(`$FreeBSD: src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc,v 1.10.2.18 2003/04/24
> 16:57:30 gshapiro Exp $')
> OSTYPE(freebsd4)
> DOMAIN(generic)
>
> FEATURE(access_db, `hash -o -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')
> FEATURE(blacklist_recipients)
> FEATURE(local_lmtp)
> FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')
> FEATURE(virtusertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')
>
> INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin', `S=local:/var/run/spamass-milter.sock,
> F=, T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')
>
> dnl set SASL options
> TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN')dnl
> define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN')dnl
> define(`confDEF_AUTH_INFO', `/etc/mail/auth-info')dnl
>
> define(`confBIND_OPTS', `WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')
> define(`confNO_RCPT_ACTION', `add-to-undisclosed')
> define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,noexpn,novrfy')
> MAILER(local)
> MAILER(smtp)
>
> Should I just replace the TRUST/SASL lines with:
>
> TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
> define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
>
> Don't want to try it at the moment without knowing more since it is a
> live system.

Yes, that's correct (although I'd leave in CRAM-MD5 since mozilla et.
al. support it nicely).

Once you save the *.mc file, do this to build a proper sendmail.cf,
update all your database configs, install and restart sendmail:

cd /etc/mail
make all install restart

This should take only about 3 seconds and will give you console feedback
so watch for any errors in syntax. Then:

tail /var/log/maillog

So you can verify that everything started up properly.

Please note that I use 5.x (but same version of sendmail as you) so it
is possible that the exact steps I outline above will be slightly
different on a 4.x system (sorry but I don't know for sure -- been so
long since I used 4.x). You can always check the Makefile in /etc/mail
to verify this.

The basic point is that you merely need to update your *.mc, rebuild it
into a proper *.cf, install and restart sendmail.

Cheers,

EB