Vinum Help Needed

John Souvestre johns at sstar.com
Tue Oct 5 05:47:27 PDT 2004

Hi.

I'm running Vinum on a 4.9 system with 3 drives.  The first drive is a small
one and I boot from it.  The second and third drive are mirrored, using Vinum,
and contain most of the system's data (1 volume, 1 plex per drive, 1 subdisk
per plex).

The system locked up on me this morning.  When I rebooted there was a problem
with the Vinum mirrored drives.  When I did a "list" from Vinum both subdisks
were "stale" and both plexes were "faulty".

After playing around a while, I didn't know what to do, so I stupidly tried
something which probably made things worse.  I did a "start" on one of the
plexes.  It took a few minutes and then came up along with the subdisk on it.
But I'm afraid that it seems to be empty.

When I boot now I get a "bad super block: magic number wrong" error, along
with "unexpected soft update inconsistency", "/dev/vinum/mirror: cannot figure
out file system partition".

Vinum now lists the drives as "up", the volume as "up", the plexes as "up" and
"faulty", the subdisks as "up" and "stale".

I'm guessing that I blew away the first plex.  Is there any way to get the
second plex up and running, and to restore the first plex from it?

Thanks!

John

    John Souvestre - Southern Star - (504) 888-3348 - www.sstar.com