Problem regarding dhcp and FreeBSD 4.10 on a laptop

Andrew Robinson andrewr at uidaho.edu
Mon Oct 4 22:08:05 PDT 2004

When I've had a problem like this it's usually my firewall.  Are you
running a firewall at all?

Also, can you ssh in to the BSD box from inside the network?

Andrew

Scott Key wrote:
> I have a Toshiba Satellite that used to run Win 98 until I got fed up and
+installed FreeBSD. This is my first FreeBSD installation, though I received
+help from a few people more knowledgable than I. The problem I am having is
+this: I have comcast broadband internet on a Linksys Wireless-G Gateway
+Modem/Router. I have two other computers that run windows, both of which have
+no problem using dhcp to obtain their IP addresses. For reasons that I have
+been unable to figure out after days of searching the internet, DHCP will
+assign a proper IP when pccard_ifconfig is set to use it in the rc.conf. The
+problem is that I am unable to get past the network. I can ping within the
+network to my hearts content, and if pinging my router and other computers was
+entertaining for more than five seconds, I'd be dandy. I have tried setting
+static IP's, I've tried manually adding the route's needed into the routing
+table, but NOTHING thus far has allowed be get outside the network. I contacte
d my cable company, who dutifully reported to me that they have no idea what
+FreeBSD is, anything other than Windows or Mac, and they are useless. In any
+event, I hope that some help can be provided in this matter. Everything else
+with FreeBSD works wonderfully, but for some reason, it simply will not allow
+me access the internet. Just to clarify, the PCcard is being recognized by
+FreeBSD, I added it in, it works fine. I have configured rc.conf to include a
+pccard_ifconfig (currently it's set to DHCP, which seems to be setting the
+appropriate ip address). Any help that could be offered would be most
+appreciated.

--
Andrew Robinson                      Ph: 208 885 7115
Department of Forest Resources       Fa: 208 885 6226
University of Idaho                  E : andrewr at uidaho.edu
PO Box 441133                        W : http://www.uidaho.edu/~andrewr
Moscow ID 83843                      Or: http://www.biometrics.uidaho.edu
No statement above necessarily represents my employer's opinion.