Wi-Fi

knowtree at aloha.com knowtree at aloha.com
Mon Oct 4 15:27:01 PDT 2004

> Hello everybody,
>
> I am working with Linux but I know that FreeBSD makes a server safer.
> I want to use FreeBSD as an Internet Gateway between a wireless router
> and a hub for wireless network cards. Does the FreeBSD have
> applications that support the 802.11g ?

Yes. The key is to use a compatible wi-fi card. Read this portion of the
handbook:
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html>

> What I want is not exactly an access point but a wireless connection
> between the phone line and the internet gateway seperated by a wall.

Sounds like an IBSS (ad-hoc) setup; you will need two FreeBSD boxes.

> What about bluetooth? I have seen a package (if I remember it's name
> was Fritz) but I don't know if it has drivers for FreeBSD.

You can read all about FreeBSD support for bluetooth here:

<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-bluetooth.html>

Gary Dunn
Honolulu