DHCP Client

Emanuel Strobl Emanuel.Strobl at gmx.net
Mon Oct 4 14:31:50 PDT 2004

Am Montag, 4. Oktober 2004 23:18 schrieb Daniel M:
> How do I configure my FreeBSD to get IP from my DHCP?
> (as a DHCP client)

When using sysinstall (configure -> Networking -> Interfaces -> select your
physical device) answer the question "Do you want to try DHCP configuration
of the interface?" with "YES" or if you don't like sysinstall
edit /etc/rc.conf and make sure you have a line reading:

ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"

Make sure to replace fxp0 with your physical interface name (e.g: xl0 for the
first 3com card, rl1 for the second Realtek card)

You may also want to add this line to /etc/dhclient.conf

send host-name "yourhostname";

man dhclient is your friend.

-Harry