passing origin through nat?

Nathan Kinkade nkinkade at ub.edu.bz
Mon Oct 4 09:51:15 PDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 03:29:38AM -0500, Anthony Philipp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I log in to my computer from a remote location, it still says
> that I am coming from my nat box. Is it possible to have my nat box
> forward where I am logging in from? I would also like to be able to
> forward where apache connections are coming from. Right now all the
> logs say is that their coming from my nat box. So if anyone knows how
> to solve this that would be great.
>
> Thanks Anthony Philipp

The only way that I can think of that you may be able to have your sshd
box know your non-NATed IP address, or hostname, would be to have the
ssh client set an environment variable when you first login.  You could
then consult that variable as needed.  Check the sshd man page.  Here is
a snip:

Additionally, ssh reads $HOME/.ssh/environment, and adds lines of the
format ``VARNAME=value'' to the environment if the file exists and if
users are allowed to change their environment.  See the
PermitUserEnvironment option in sshd_config(5).

I doubt that you will be able to find an acceptable resolution to your
question regarding Apache logging.

Nathan
--
PGP Public Key: pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD8527E49