alternative to 'top' in jail

Cerion Armour-Brown cerion at open-works.co.uk
Mon Oct 4 07:14:20 PDT 2004

On Saturday 02 October 2004 17:29, you wrote:
> > I have a jail with a freebsd jails provider...
> > What do people use as an alternative to 'top', inside a jail?
> > What else can I use to measure resource usage (cpu/ram/io)
>
> Try systat, comes with the system
> Jason
Thanks for the reply, but I should have given more info...
running systat, I only get: "error reading kmem at c03db09c"
... And looking in dev:
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  4 Jul 21 13:37 /dev/mem@ -> null
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  4 Jul 21 13:37 /dev/kmem@ -> null

From googling I understand this is a security restriction imposed by my jails
provider.

I found a mention on freebsd-hackers archive of a patch to top:
http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org/msg33464.html
Does anyone use this patch + can recommend it?  If so, where can I get it?

I've also tried the perl module Sys::CpuLoad, but haven't found it very
usefule.

Any ideas/comments appreciated!
Thanks,
Cerion