Help wanted with NAT/IPFW settings (4.10 stable)

Mike Doyle relyod at cooperationireland.org
Mon Oct 4 02:40:16 PDT 2004

Hi

I am using FreeBSD 4.10 stable (cvsupped about a month ago), and I have hit
a problem
with the firewall configuration and allowing a specific application to
work. At the moment
all sorts of things work correctly:
	The FreeBSD machine acts as a test-server and firewall when I'm working
from home
	My WinXP and Apple OSX 10.3.5 desktops can see web pages, send/rcv email
	I use vtun to enable all 3 machines to access my corporate VPN,

What is NOT working is iChatAV on the Mac.
The remote person always seems to get a connection timed out error
stating that they are unable to connect to 10.0.1.1 (the ip address of the
mac on the
INTERNAL network, rather than the fixed IP address of my DSL modem)

The DSL modem thingy contains a primitive firewall, and applies NAT to the
packets
addressed to the external ethernet address of my FreeBSD computer.
This computer then uses firewall/NAT rules to allow packets in to/out from
the other
two computers. I can even successfully play Quake III on-line from the
Windows box,
so the NAT redirection of UDP packets is working there...

If anyone on the list has successfully configured this to work, I will be
prepared
to send you my rc.firewall and natd.conf files to see if you can help me.

Mike

Michael Doyle          email: relyod at cooperationireland.org
Network Administrator              mobile: +353 87 235 7853
Co-operation Ireland	  http://www.cooperationireland.org/
Phone: +353-1-661 0588                 Fax: +353-1-661 8456