making a script for folding@home

jason jason at ec.rr.com
Sun Oct 3 16:46:29 PDT 2004

    I have folding at home and wanted to make a startup script for it.  I
saw another folding client in the ports, but I wanted to tweak the
script a little to help my comp run quietly.  If I could I would like to
run my comp 24x7, but I can't do it right now because I have a hard
drive that just screams its so loud and it is in my room.   I got the
ataidle port, but my drive will spin back up right away or in a min or
so.  I was hoping this would work, but it seems FreeBSD keeps using the
hard drive.  I rememer watching shows I downloaded and hearing the hard
drive spin down(the show would fit in ram if it matters) a few months
ago while running current.  Also my hardrive will still spin down while
I am in long games of starcraft in windows.  I have 5.3 beta3 now and I
want to know if it is normal for the hard drive to never spin down for
other people that have acpi or apm working.
    I wrote my first script to create a md, put f at h in it, and run f at h
out of ram.  When I shutdown the script should cp the working dir back
to the hard drive and get rid of the md.   This script will only matter
if I can get the hard disk to spin down.  If you understand what I am
tring to do and have some idea please let me know what you think.