When Unix Stops Being Fun

bsdfsse bsdfsse at optonline.net
Sun Oct 3 00:12:06 PDT 2004

Ironically, I'm switching to FreeBSD because I'm already tired.  My
bones are aching from years of abuse.  I'm tired of..

..being told what I can and can't do with my computers.  Did you know
many scanners and photocopiers cannot reproduce money?  Apparently the
US government has worked with the hardware manufactures to perform this
feat.  What's next?  Probably not being able to listen to music that I'm
not "certified" as owning.  Or being able to rip a DVD I purchased.

..of not being in control of my computer.  The two straws that broke my
Wincamel's back were SP2 killing my machine (which I eventually solved
with a BIOS update), and then (less seriously) not being able to set the
theme of the task bar to the Win 2000 theme.  Now I'm going to run GNOME
and FVWM2, which I will be in full control of my desktop. No weird crap
anymore.

..of skills becoming outdated.  I was a master of the Commodore.  I was
  a master of AmigaDOS.  I was a master of MS-DOS.  I was a master of
Win95.  I was a master of Windows NT4.  Then a funny thing happened, I
realized if I spent the time to learn UNIX, I could run it for the rest
of life, without having to learn a new OS every time Microsoft needed to
keep their stock price up.

..of GUI's.  What a marvelous thing to be able to shell in to my own
computer, from anywhere in the world, from many kind of computers - and
check my mail, read newsgroups, write programs, etc.

..of having to enter serial numbers  for tons of software I legitimately
purchased.  The worst is having to type in Microsoft's 44-digit
activation codes anytime I want to change my HD, say from RAID 0 to RAID
1.  Normally this involves a call to India.

..of purchasing software.  Why drive to CompUSA and purchase
WordPerfect, when I go to my ports directory and install OpenOffice?
Actually I've done both, and going to the directory was a lot cheaper.
Why buy MS-SQL or Sybase when I can get Interbase, MySQL, or PostreSQL
for free?

..of stupid software.  Firefox is so much better than IE, it's hard to
where to begin.  Throw in the Adblock extension, and it's the perfect
tabbed browsing experience.  IE is a nightmare of fear and chaos, "Hey
someone sent me a cool JPEG to view, OH ITS A VIRUS!"

..of Linux distributions with fatal flaws.  I went on a giant search to
pick the perfect Linux distro, and I ended up selecting FreeBSD.  Every
single distro had some aspect I didn't like.

..of proprietary formats.  All the emails I lost over the years that
were in some kind of Outlook format that at the time I was either too
lazy or too ignorant, to make a back up of.

..of malware. UNIX has been secure since it supported multiple users,
which was a very long time ago.  Windows has never been, and likely will
never be, secure.  I bought my brother a Mac, he sometimes calls to see
if he needs to be concerned about the latest virus making the rounds.
"No.", I tell him.

My point is, the knowledge you gain about UNIX is your's forever.  The
freedom is forever.  The control is forever.

If want to be a sysadmin, you don't have to be master of everything.
You just need to be on the path - and you are.

thx!