Kernel Compile slow on 5.x series?

Simon Barner barner at gmx.de
Sat Oct 2 06:45:18 PDT 2004

Markie wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed that the 5.x series kernel compile times take much
> longer than that of the 4.x series? My friends 233MHz machine running 4.x
> finished a kernel compile before my 500MHz machine running 5.x a while
> back. It seems to take forever? Is there a reason for this, or is it just
> me seeing this problem?

FreeBSD 5 uses GCC 3.x as system compiler, whereas 4 is based on GCC
2.y.

Due to enhenced code optimization, support for modern language features
and other things the _compilation_ times increased considerably in the newk
version of the compiler (the resulting code is often much faster).

Fortunately, things are getting better with the most recent compilers from
the GCC 3.x series.

Simon