Platforms

Brent Archer mikrais at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 1 04:50:18 PDT 2004

kaelthun at zeelandnet.nl wrote:
> I have no idea what all these platforms mean, I am especially confused by the following
> statement:
>
> "operating system for x86 compatible (including Pentium and Athlon), amd64 compatible
> (including Opteron, Athlon 64"
>
> And when I look to the left in the menu, I don't see x86 as a category. I am currently
> employing an AMD Athlon XP 2200+ as a processor so I have no idea how to proceed. What
> platform should I use for the processor I am using?

You want i386 for your Athlon XP :)

For some reason the FreeBSD.org link under platforms/i386 points only to
the SMP project. I can understand your confusion. However, the
introduction under the Platforms main link says:

	Here you will find a list of platforms that FreeBSD currently 	supports
along with platforms currently being ported to (with the exception of
x86, since most of the information on the remainder of the site already
pertains to that platform).

So, everything you need to get started you can more than likely find in
the FAQ and Handbook for your Athlon.

--bsa