nat or ......?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 03:04:19 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 12:36:30PM +0400, metallarch wrote:

> I made the ppp connection from windows to freebsd(tun0), and from freebsd to internet
> (tun2)"at the same time"!
> I have 2 modems
> What can i do that i could browse internet on windows over freebsd?

That should certainly be feasible.

You will need to make the FreeBSD system be a gateway machine -- add:

    gateway_enable="YES"

to /etc/rc.conf.

You'll need to run an instance of ppp for each modem, each with its
own separate configuration.

You will need to run NAT on the FreeBSD boxes' internet interface:
that's built into the ppp(8) server and can be specified on the
command line.

On the windows box side, all you need is the configuration that lets
you dial in as required.

Remember to adjust any firewall rulesets to allow traffic from your
windows machine out to the world at large, and for the responses to
come back again.

Running a caching recursive DNS server on the FreeBSD box would be a
good idea, as would running some sort of web proxying software,
although you will be able to get away without either of those.  Don't
expect a stellar web browsing experience from your windows box --
running through two PPP links is going to result in pretty horrendous
network latency.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way