How to capture "make installworld" error during migration from 5.1 to 5-Stable?

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Tue Nov 30 17:13:04 PST 2004

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christian Hiris <4711 at chello.at>"
To: To freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 30 Nov, 2004 23:23 GMT
Subject: Re: How to capture "make installworld" error during migration from 5.1 to 5-Stable?

> On Tuesday 30 November 2004 23:49, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> > Hello,
> >      I'm trying to migrate a newly (fresh install from CD-Rom Set)
> > installed 5.1 to 5-Stable, using the migration guide at
> > http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/migration-guide.html.
> >
> > The previous attempts failed with the same error at step 15:
> > Install the new userland utilities with:
> >
> > # cd /usr/src
> > # make installworld
> >
> > Now, I'm in single-user mode at this stage, and would like to capture the
> > error so that I could post to the list for assistance, please. How can I do
> > this?
>
> See http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
>
> Chapter "19.4.7.1 Saving the Output" describes how to use the script command:
>
>  # script /var/tmp/mw.out
>  Script started, output file is /var/tmp/mw.out
>  # make TARGET
>  ... compile, compile, compile ...
>  # exit
>  Script done, ...

Okay.., I've just scripted the output from "make installworld" at step 15 of the migration guide, and its failed as before.

I've got the output redirected to a file: /var/tmp/installworld.log, however, I'm in single-user mode, and nothing works: ls, mount, etc.., how do I get this file off this system so that I can post it to the list for assistance?

At this point, I can (manually) show the last bit of the failed attempt for make installworld:

===> bin/test
install -s -o root -g wheel -m 555  test /bin
install -o root -g wheel -m 444 test.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1
pid 45090 (sh), uid 0: exited on signal 10 (core dumped)
*** Signal 10
Stop in /usr/src/bin/test.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1
..,
..,
..,
..,

I'd appreciate some help with this.., If there is a way to get the log file off (to floppy, for instance), I'd like to post it so that folks cleverer than I could take a look, please.

Thanks for the time.

Regards,

Stacey