Help with rc.conf error, read-only file system

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Tue Nov 30 16:35:41 PST 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:04:03 -0600 (CST), "David Kelly"
<dkelly at hiwaay.net> wrote:

> > I've been away from FreeBSD for a while and I just loaded 5.3 and
> > inavertently made an error in rc.conf.  Now when I boot up the file
> > system is read-only and I haven't been able to edit rc.conf to
> > correct the simple mistake.  Any help would be appreciated.

Once you reach the single-user shell prompt, do this:

mount -u / (changes root filesystem from read-only to read/write)
mount -a (attempts to mount any other filesystems in /etc/fstab)

If any filesystem fails to mount, run "fsck -y" on it, then try mounting
it again.

> "mount -a" to attempt mounting all filesystems. Use "fsck -y" on the
> ones mount refuses to do. These days "background fsck" usually applies
> automatically meanwhile one gets to use the filesystems instantly.

Not in single-user mode it doesn't.

Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"