Mp3, Ogg Players on 5.3

Justin Gruenberg justin.gruenberg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 14:36:02 PST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 07:03:14 +1100, David Gerard <fun at thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:
> As I understand it (I welcome correction!), iRiver are the only ones whose
> player does Ogg out the box. Unfortunately, it does not act as a umass
> device and so requires the funky Windows drivers. See review (disclaimer,
> I'm an editor on the site):
> http://rocknerd.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/28/0621219&mode=nested

I don't have a iRiver player, but was looking into getting one.  There
are two versions of their firmware--the one it ships with which allows
you to use its music manager software (which, btw, isn't available for
BSD anyway) and there is the UMS firmware, which makes the device
appear as a thumb drive to the operating system with the FAT file
system.

You can get the drivers and info on them here:
http://www.iriveramerica.com/support/ums.aspx