proc filesystem

Ruben de Groot mail25 at bzerk.org
Tue Nov 30 07:08:45 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 01:17:19PM +0100, Florian Hengstberger typed:
> Hi!
>
> I mounted the proc-filesystem under /proc but in contrary
> to Linux no additional information concerning the bus,
> the cpu etc. is there?
> Why is this? I like to
>
> cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
>
> to see if the system took notice of my usb-stick.

If you prefer to do things the Linux way, you better stick with Linux.

That said; /proc is considered (and has demonstrated to be) a security
risk and has therefore been disabled by default in FreeBSD 5.x
Besides, *BSD's have traditionally used different mechanisms to interface
with the kernel. sysctl(8) comes to mind, but there are others.

In this case, dmesg will tell you if your usb-stick was recognized. So will
usbdevs, as mentioned in another post.

Ruben