newbie Make question

Benjamin E. Brannen res0d2h3 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 29 15:41:23 PST 2004

Hello,

I have installed FreeBSD and have been running it for about two weeks now.

I had been using the ports collection to install software.  I must have
done something that has changed the environment but don't know what.

Now when I go into a ported directory and attempt to make, it says:
make: no target to make.

When I try make install it says:
make: don't know how to make install. Stop.

Many of the files in the ports collection now have a ',v' after them
i.e. 'Makefile,v' 'pkg-plist,v' and Attic etc.

Anyone with any insight would be appreciated?

Thanks,
Ben