NVidia driver not using AGP?

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Mon Nov 29 13:13:37 PST 2004

On my 5.3 system (recompiled completely, including ports, one week ago), the
NVidia driver (for a GeForce MX 400) from ports doesn't seem to be using AGP:

    $ sysctl hw.nvidia.agp.status.status
    hw.nvidia.agp.status.status: disabled

I've built a new kernel with "device agp" commented out, and kldstat verifies
that it's not loaded.  I set 'Option "NvAGP" "1"' in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
I've read all of the READMEs that seemed relevant.  Still, I seem to be
running in PCI mode and display updates are painfully slow and CPU-intensive.

I'm running out of things to check.  Any idea what combination of settings
would result in a system where the display seems to run correctly, but is
much slower than expected?
--
Kirk Strauser