Is this a hole in my firewall?

Ruben de Groot mail25 at bzerk.org
Mon Nov 29 06:08:38 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 01:21:14PM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick typed:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 12:30:20PM +0100, Ruben de Groot wrote:
> : He's using ppp-nat. So packets from his laptop will first hit rule #300 and
> : only after that get "nat'ed". I believe this is normal behaviour.
>
> Ah, yes.  I always forget about ppp-nat.
>
> So, then, is this the best way to allow my laptop packets out?  Or does it
> still leave the laptop exposed?  I'd like to protect all the machines with
> one firewall, while keeping it simple, if possible.

Your laptop won't be "exposed" by this. You could however finetune your
ruleset a little bit by modifying rule 300 to something like:

allow ip from ${INTERNAL_NET} to any keep-state out xmit tun0

where INTERNAL_NET would be e.g. 192.168.0.0/24

Ruben