5.3-Release/Stable Problems with ichsmb

Jochen Keil J.Keil at gmx.de
Sun Nov 28 13:27:18 PST 2004

Hi all.

Recently i've got a dual Mainboard and one of the first things i tried
was the smbus stuff.
I knew that i had to put device smb and device smbus in my kernel
configuration file plus a specific driver.
After some googl'ing i figured out that i need the ichsmb driver in
order to access the chip.

So i compiled a kernel with the smb and smp stuff and after rebooting i
wondered why i didn't have /dev/smb?.
into the kernel except the ichsmb module which gave me an error that
there was no file called "ichsmb.ko" available.
Checking /boot/kernel i realized that this was true.
After compiling a second time (i updated to 5.3-release meanwhile) the
error was still there an no /dev/smb? for me.
Looking into the make.conf manpage showed me that i could try with
MODULES_OVERRIDE.
Trying "make MODULES_OVERRIDE=ichsmb buildkernel KERNCONF=FOO" ended
with an error in ichsmb which isn't in /usr/src/sys/modules.
Playing around in the sources (trying to copy sys/dev/ichsmb to
sys/modules, editing some Makefiles and so on) didn't give me better
results.

I'm currently compiling a GENERIC Kernel (without SMP) with device
smb/smbus/ichsmb but i don't expect to much from it because the module
isn't available in a plain GENERIC.

You guys are my last hope is there a chance of getting ichsmb somehow
compiled or am i doing something wrong?

Hope to hear from you real soon,

greetings,

Jochen Keil