USB mouse support

jason jason at ec.rr.com
Sun Nov 28 08:09:56 PST 2004

Trey Sizemore wrote:

> I've just installed FreeBSD 5.3 on my desktop machine (P4 2.8GHz with
> 512MB RAM) and cannot get my mouse pointer to move in KDE.  It is a
> Microsoft Wireless Optical 2.0 mouse (USB) and I have the following
> section in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file:
>
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "Protocol" "Auto"
> Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
> Option "Buttons" "7"
> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>
> I have installed FreeBSD from the disc 1 ISO file and installed
> everything by default.  I have not done a kernel recomple at this point.
>
> Is this an issue with my xorg.conf file or a USB issue that requires a
> kernel recompile?  I did not see anything helpful in the Using X11 in
> the manual.
>
> Thanks for the input!
>
> -Trey

FreeBSD supports the mouse in your system, not x.  All xorg.conf is
doing is telling x where the mouse is and how to talk to it.  You can
use a mouse on the command line in FreeBSD to cut and paste.  That is
just to cool.

Try this command:

$ dmesg | grep ums

Do you get a similar result as below?

ums0: Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM), rev
1.10/3.00, addr 2, iclass 3/1
ums0: 3 buttons and Z dir.

Also try this if yours is different:

Section "InputDevice"