what does "rm //" delete?

Oliver Fuchs oliverfuchs at onlinehome.de
Sun Nov 28 03:21:58 PST 2004

Hi,

I had a directory which contained the following:

ls showed me simple this: "?" with 0 bytes
ls -axl showed me nothing

So I tried to delete the directory but could not succeed with "rm -R"
because the "directory is not empty". I changed to the directory and tried
to delete everything inside with "rm *" but also did not succeed. It seemed
that the file had no name. So than I did a mistake and wanted to delete the
file with no name with the operation:

rm -R //

This was a big mistake which I noticed soon enough (some files in /bin were
deleted). I could repair the damage but what I want to know is what exactly
is

rm -R //

deleting. It seems that it is deleting everything?

Thanx in advance

Oliver

--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit