I can not install FreeBSD 5.3 in an old Pentium 100 MHz

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat Nov 27 23:34:58 PST 2004

See
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=acpi&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+5.3-
RELEASE
particularly the section:

     To disable the acpi driver completely, set the kernel environment vari-
     able hint.acpi.0.disabled to 1.

This should be done in the loader prompt.  When you get the message:

Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [kernel] in 9 seconds... _

hit any other key for the command prompt then turn off acpi.

If this doesen't work, try loading FreeBSD 4.10

Ted