FreeBSD Printing

Khairil Yusof kaeru at pd.jaring.my
Sat Nov 27 12:06:47 PST 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 11:55 -0800, gabriel wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:52:10 -0800, gabriel <normal1.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It is said that HP has good support for nix on its printers. I'm about
> > to purchase a printer thats listed on linuxprinting dot org but it
> > utilizes usb. I'll be setting it up with cups, how smart is this? I'm
> > gonna set it up in a network environment.

Most HP printers (inkjet/laser) are supported on FreeBSD via either
hpijs, gnomeprint or stand postscript drivers.

In a networked environment setting it up with cups/samba is quite easy
and straight forward.

Make sure the usb printer is connected and turned on first before adding
the printer via the cups web interface. Otherwise the usb option will
not be available.

This is a common setup, so a quick google, will probably get you a lot
of answers in case you encounter any problems.