How to boot FreeBSD from a slave IDE disk

Peter Hoskin peterh at criten.org
Fri Nov 26 21:04:20 PST 2004

It appears to me that I did not have the boot manager installed on the ad0.
 But when I tried to "install boot manager" onto the ad0, the fdisk gave me
no hint where to write the MBR.  Basically what I did was:

select "install boot manager"
select "ad0"
hit the "q" key
select "install boot manager"
select "ad3"
hit the "q" key

   I seem to be having the trouble of installing a MBR as well. I am
   wanting to install a new hard drive in my computer. After I resize the
   fdisk partition, my disk is no longer bootable even though the -B flag
   was specified. Odd...
   Wondering if our issue is related. I'm also running 5.3.
   Regards,
   Peter Hoskin