Best driver setup for GeForce2 MX

Adam Maloney adam at whee.org
Fri Nov 26 06:44:49 PST 2004

Hi All,

I've got a 5-STABLE box with a GeForce2 MX 32M card (dual-head and SVideo
out).  My last card was a 4M Rage Pro (Nethack was AWESOME on this card!),
so I don't have any experience with any of these fancy new-fangled
graphics accelerators.

Anyways, I'm having trouble figuring out the driver setup for this guy.
I'm running xorg-server-6.7.0_9.  I have the card working using the
built-in NV driver, but no GL.  I tried the FreeBSD drivers from NVidia,
but they caused X to crash in various spectacular ways.  My understanding
is that these drivers are for XFree, and not Xorg?

In any case, I'd like to know what combination of drivers, X, and animal
sacrifices to use to get the most out of this card.  Now that my graphics
hardware is in the 21st century, I'd really like to see some
graphics-accelerated love under FreeBSD.

Regards,

Adam