kernel compile error

Brian Bobowski bbobowski at cogeco.ca
Fri Nov 26 06:34:11 PST 2004

Joshua Lokken wrote:

>>On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 04:03:52PM +0900, Rob wrote:
>>

>>>Matt Emmerton wrote:
>>>

>>>Having such a mechanism, would prevent lots of beginners in the
>>>kernel compiling stuff, to get frustrated with errors like above.
>>>

>Also, as you see, it's well-documented in the kernel config file ;)

While this is true, it's also easy enough for someone to snip the
directions when slicing things out of the config file. Assuming that the
user won't do things the wrong way is a sure way to succumb to Murphy's
Law(the real one).

The main barrier I can see to this is getting whatever parses the config
file to recognise such dependencies; as it is, it's the compiler that
runs into the problem, not the program that calls the compiler. The
compiler doesn't know where the relevant source is if not told to
include it, after all.

-BB