mount ntfs (windows) file system in /etc/fstab fails at boot

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Nov 25 18:00:20 PST 2004

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 01:53:11AM -0800, Kevin Smith wrote:
> I am able to mount my windows partition manually by either:
>
> > mount -t ntfs /dev/ad0s1 /windows
>
> or by putting an entry in by /dev/fstab that looks like:
>
> /dev/ad0s1             /windows          ntfs     ro              2       2
>
> and using command:
                                                                           ^^^

     The sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to determine
     the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time.  The root
     filesystem should be specified with a fs_passno of 1, and other filesys-
     tems should have a fs_passno of 2.  Filesystems within a drive will be
     checked sequentially, but filesystems on different drives will be checked
     at the same time to utilize parallelism available in the hardware.  If
     the sixth field is not present or is zero, a value of zero is returned
     and fsck(8) will assume that the filesystem does not need to be checked.

Since you don't want to run fsck on the ntfs volume, set this to zero.

> If I leave this entry in my /etc/fstab, the OS reports inconsistency
> errors on bootup when it tries to mount and goes into single-user mode.
> I then had to remount / for read-write and delete the line in the fstab
> before it would boot again.

P.S. It's usually helpful to transcribe the exact error, instead of
describing vague symptoms.

Kris