FreeBSD and NetZero

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Nov 24 23:23:31 PST 2004

They are called dialup accellerators, and an entire industry has grown
up to make and sell these programs, with the sole purpose of shagging
money out of stupid people who run ISP's and don't understand you cannot
compress jpgs, zips, .mp3s and other precompressed data that people
download.

I always wondered what would happen to the dialup market once everyone
who actually cared about a decent Internet connection switched to DSL and
Cable.  I guess when you skim off the good customers your left with the
bulk of the market that is worthless - customers that actually believe
these accellerators work, ISP's that don't give a damn if they work or
not as long as it snags the dumb customers, and software firms staffed
by programmers who checked their morals at the door, and are busy
scamming the ISP's that don't give a damn.

As NetZero gets a good amount of revenue from push advertising, I don't
think the problem is going to be disbling the accellerator, I think the
problem is when the NetZero servers don't get a handshake from the software
widgit that accepts and displays the adverts and is supposed to be running
on the dialup client, they are going to gun the client.

At least, if I was an advertiser paying NetZero to push out my crap, that
is how I would insist that it work.

Good luck and I hope you figure out how to defeat the NetSpammers, I mean
NetZero.  For what junk they push out on their customers they deserve to
have their icky dialup client defeated.

Ted