Error and install stops for KDE

Lars Eighner eighner at io.com
Wed Nov 24 19:45:23 PST 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Doug Van Allen wrote:

> I just installed 5.3 and Xorg on a new box.  Went to install KDE, and
> the install stopped.  This was the error:
> [code]
> Fetch:ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/fam/fam-2.6.9.tar.gz:
> Service not available, closing control connection
>>> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
>>> Port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/fam and try again
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/fam.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/X11/kdelibs3.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/X11/kdebase3.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/X11/kdebase3.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/X11/kde3.
> *** Error code 1
> [/code]
>
> I dont know what I should do.  Should I uninstall KDE, install fam,
> and then try KDE again?

Try to ftp the file yourself and place it in /usr/ports/distfiles/ .

If you didn't make clean in kde3, you can simply return to the
kde3 directly and enter make again.

Kde3 is pseudoport.  It is just a way of building a whole bunch
of kde components by claiming the pseudoport depends on them.
It will skip the parts that have already been built and
begin again with fam.  It is pointless to uninstall kde.

You can try to build fam on its own and then return to kde3
and make.  In that case fam will be skipped too along with the
other components that have already been built.

The problem seems to be getting the file, and if you can't do
that manually, the ports won't be able to either.

--
Lars Eighner
eighner at io.com -finger for geek code-