sound mysteriously not working

Huw Wynn-Jones huwwynnjones at neuf.fr
Wed Nov 24 10:44:39 PST 2004

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 03:19, Kevin Smith wrote:
> sorry, a typo...
>
> "I booted windows on the same system and the sound card/speakers
> are not working"..
>
> meant is say "....sound card/speakers is working" with windows.
>
> Kevin Smith wrote:
> > I had followed the handbook to configure sound (sound blaser
> > Live!) on my new 5.3 installation.  It was working yesterday but
> > it doesn't work now.  Just to verify, I booted windows on the
> > same system and the sound card/speakers are not working.
> >
> > Here is my dmesg output and sndstat:
> > > dmesg|fgrep pcm0
> >
> > pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> port 0xc800-0xc81f irq 18 at device 2.0
> > on pci2 pcm0: <TriTech TR28602 AC97 Codec>
> >
> > /home/kevin> cat /dev/sndstat
> > FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> > Installed devices:
> > pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> at io 0xc800 irq 18 kld snd_emu10k1
> > (4p/2r/0v channels duplex default)
> >
> > Any suggestions on what to try next ?
> >
> > -Kevin
Hello

Are you running KDE? If you are then try turning the volume up!

It sounds silly but I had the same problem until I discovered the
volume had been turned down to zero for some reason or another by
KDE. Open up Kmix and check that both the Output PCM AND Input Volume
levels are up and on.

If you check the archives of this list you will find one or two others
had this same problem plus some other useful answers.

cheers

Huw