ffs_clusteralloc

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Wed Nov 24 08:10:29 PST 2004

In the last episode (Nov 24), FreeBSD Questions said:
> I have a 5.2 box which I use as a general purpose server in my house.
> It has been a very good box up to now.  I noticed that it wasn't
> responding last night so I took a look at it and there was a message
> which read: "panic: ffs_clusteralloc: map mismatch".
>
> Not thinking much of it other than "Oh an error, oh well <reboot>".
> I rebooted it.  Now it refuses to boot.  As soon as the login prompt
> appears I receive the same panic and the machine reboots.

Chances are your filesystem has an error in it that's not caught by the
preliminary fsck, the system boots normally, the background fsck kicks
off, the kernel hits the corrupt block and panics, and repeats the
loop.  Try booting into single-user and run fsck -p, then reboot again
and see if the problem's gone.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com