How do you "make install" without direct internet access?

Vittorio v.demartino2 at virgilio.it
Wed Nov 24 04:15:52 PST 2004

I'm attaching here the answer to a mail of mine on a simmilar subject.
The suggested solutions is working smoothly & flawlessly for me under
freebsd 5.2.1 & 5.3.

Ciao
Vittorio

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:55:43 +0000, Vittorio <v.demartino2 at virgilio.it>
wrote:
> Old linux user now moving gradually to freebsd 5.2.1, at office we
have
> a lan
> 1) with an http proxy for which authentication via userid & passwd is
> needed AND
> 2) ftp is blocked, not permitted.
>
> I want to use the ports and compile my programs. I have already tried
> set the http proxy (as under linux, by the way!)  issuing:
>
> env HTTP_PROXY="http://userid:passwd@myproxy.it:8080"
>
> to no avail; freebsd complains endlessly that
> fetch: ftp://............: Host not found

Try putting in the following in /etc/make.conf

FETCH_ENV=      FTP_PROXY=http://userid:passwd@myproxy.it:8080
FETCH_ENV=      HTTP_PROXY=http://userid:passwd@myproxy.it:8080

To be honest, haven't tried it with authentication but the above would
be the correct way to make use of a proxy for ports.

Nelis