CVSup questions

Jay O'Brien jayobrien at att.net
Wed Nov 24 00:07:25 PST 2004

Kevin, Stheg;

Wow. You answered questions I didn't know how to ask. I was confused
between src-all and cvs-all. The confusion is because of the example
supfile /usr/share/examples/cvsup/cvs-supfile. It calls for the src-
all collection, which I mistakenly thought would get everything. Now
I see that it also individually calls for ports-all, doc-all and
others. Obviously I didn't read that file carefully enough. I now
have read the stable and standard supfiles and understand the reasons
for them all. And, I now know to put them somewhere that they won't
be eaten by an upgrade if I edit them.

I also now see the need for different tags; I'll use RELENG_5_3 and .

Thanks for the lead to "script". Another useful new command to me.

I hadn't seen Dru Lavigne's article on portupgrade. Good read.

And this wasn't "well documented" with me (yet), but it is now:
> the well documented "make buildworld, make buildkernel,
> make installkernel, reboot single user, mergemaster -p,
> make installworld, reboot, mergemaster" cycle

I haven't had so much fun since CP/M (on 8" floppy disks)!

Jay O'Brien
Rio Linda, California, USA